Sangria is a wine punch which originated in Spain. It typically consists of a red wine, chopped or sliced fruit, a sweetener such as honey, and a small amount of added brandy, triple sec, or other spirits. Sometimes white wine is used to make a sangria blanca and sometimes carbonated drinks are used. Two things very important to the making of a good sangria are (i) that you use good wine, fresh fruit and flavorful juice and (ii) that you allow time for the fruit flavors to blend with the other ingredients.
NB: If adding carbonated drinks, ice or strawberries, add these just before serving.
|Preparation Time:||10 minutes|
|Time Until Ready:||several hours - overnight|
1 bottle of red wine
1 lemon cut into wedges
1 orange cut into wedges
2 tablespoons sugar
1 shot brandy
2 cups club soda
- Pour wine in the pitcher and squeeze the juice wedges from the lemon and orange into the wine. Toss in the fruit wedges (leaving out seeds) and add sugar and brandy.
- Chill overnight.
- Add club soda just before serving.
There are many variations. Choose from the following, adjusting to taste:
- basic sangria recipe + peaches
- basic sangria recipe + cointreau + peaches, pear, & lime + strawberries
- red wine + sparkling apple juice + gin + vodka + sugar + lemon + orange + lime
- dry white wine + fresh mint + sugar + cinnamon sticks + peaches , pears
- oranges, lemons + sparkling apple cider + apple juice icecubes
- dry white wine + brandy + small red chillies (seeded & quartered - 2 per bottle of wine) + tart green apples, plums & peaches + club soda
- dry white wine + sugar + triple sec + peach-flavored brandy + peaches & oranges + sparkling orange soda + ginger ale
- clove & cranberry-infused syrup (simmer 3 cloves with 1 cup water, 2/3 cup sugar and slices of lemons and limes for a few minutes; add 4 cranberry herbal tea bags and infuse; then cool, removing teabags & cloves) + dry red wine + cranberry juice + brandy + triple sec + fresh strawberries and club soda
- dry red wine + rum + cointreau + lemonade + lime, lemon, orange & mango
- dry white wine, Pimm's 1 Cup, lemon & lime juice, orange & peach
- Pinot Noir, + ginger ale + kiwi fruit + lime juice
- red wine + sugar + lemons + lemon juice + cognac + carbonated lemonade
- dry white wine + brandy + triple sec + orange juice + pinapple juice + simple syrup + peaches
- red wine (Rioja) + spiced dark rum + Cointreau or Grand Marnier + orange, lemon, peaches, berries + 2 cinnamon sticks (remove before serving) + sparkling soda water
- fruity red wine + cranberry juice + Grenadine + sweet Vermouth + oranges & cherries
- sweet white wine (Muscat, Sweet Riesling, Gewurztraminer) + lemon, orange, lime & kiwi fruit + passion fruit juice + pinapple juice + ginger ale
Delicious for a summer party
hellskitchen.bz >> RECIPES >> BEVERAGES >> Sangria