Chocolate Lava Cakes
Chocolate Lava Filling
3 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
6 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 cup hot coffee or water
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs, separated
Cocoa powder for the tops
- For the filling, line a plastic ice cube tray with a large piece of plastic wrap. With your fingers, gently poke the plastic down into eight of the cubes so they are fully lined with plastic.
- Melt the chocolate with the cream and corn syrup; whisk until smooth. Add the vanilla extract; set aside to cool until tepid.
- Fill the eight lined ice cube cups with the chocolate; freeze at least 4 hours.
- For the cakes, place rack in center of oven and heat to 425 degrees F. Generously butter eight 4 oz soufflé dishes or ramekins. Place them on a jellyroll pan. (You can use muffin pans if you don't have ramekins.)
- Melt the chocolate with the coffee. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Cream the butter with 1/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in the chocolate mixture.
- Fold in the flour and salt with a spatula.
- Beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Add the remaining sugar, one tablespoon at a time, mixing well after each addition. Continue beating until thick and glossy.
- Thoroughly mix one quarter of the beaten egg whites into chocolate batter; gently fold in the rest.
- Fill each prepared soufflé dish about halfway full with the chocolate batter.
- Gently bury a frozen chocolate cube in the center of each; add remaining batter, filling cups almost to the top.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes until cakes are puffy and set.
- Gently loosen from the sides of the dishes and invert onto serving plates.
- Sift cocoa over and serve warm.
Delicious with fresh raspberries, raspberry sauce and creme anglais
hellskitchen.bz >> RECIPES >> DESSERTS >> Chocolate Lava Cakes