|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||40 - 45 minutes|
|Time Until Ready:||1 hour 15 minutes|
1/4 cup flour
4 ounces butter
1 1/2 cups milk, warmed
1 1/2 cups finely grated parmesan and gruyère cheese
6 eggs, separated and at room temperature
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the shelf just below the center of the oven, and a baking sheet on the shelf. Butter a 2-quart soufflé dish (the size is important).
- Prepare the basic mixture by stirring flour into the butter melted in a heavy saucepan. Gradually add the warmed milk, stirring until your mixture is quite smooth. Let this sauce cook very gently and slowly, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the grated cheeses until they have melted.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Slowly mix in the very thoroughly beaten yolks of the eggs.
- Now add the salt (always to be added after the cheese) and quite a generous amount of freshly-ground pepper, plus if you like, a pinch of cayenne.
- Whisk the whites of the eggs with the cream of tartar, in a large scrupulously dry and clean bowl, until they stand in peaks on the whisk and look very creamy.
- Tip half the whites on top of the basic mixture and gently fold them in, slowly rotating the bowl with your left hand, lifting rather than stirring the whole mass. Add the remainder of the whites in the same way until no streaks of white remain. All this should take only a few seconds and as you carefully pour the whole mixture, without delay, into the dish, it should look very bubbly and spongy.
- With a knife, mark a deep circle an inch or so from the edge, so that the soufflé will come out with a cottage-loaf look to the top. Put it instantly into the oven.
- Place in the middle of the oven and immediately reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until well-puffed and brown on top and still slightly soft in the middle (or firm if you prefer).
Delicious with green salad.
hellskitchen.bz >> RECIPES >> EGGS & CHEESE >> Cheese Soufflé