Braised Short Ribs with Pomegranate Molasses
|Preparation Time:||50 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||9-12 hours|
|Time Until Ready:||20 hours|
2 cups red wine
1/2 cup pomegranate molasses
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 carrots, chopped
1 leek, white and green parts, chopped, washed and drained
1 onion, chopped
1 sachet of fresh thyme, bay leaf and black peppercorns
5 cups veal stock or low-sodium beef or chicken stock
8 beef short ribs (4-6 pounds), trimmed of excess fat and silverskin
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil, or other neutral oil
- Mix the wine, molasses, oyster sauce, carrots, celery, leeks, onions and sachet in a large bowl and toss to combine. (Make the sachet with cheesecloth.) add the short ribs and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove ribs from marinade. Strain the marinade, reserving the aromatics and sachet. Put the marinade in a medium sauté pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and simmer until marinade is reduced by two-thirds, to slightly less than 1 cup, about 30 minutes. Add the stock and bring the mixture to the boil. Season liberally with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the marinade is reducing, arrange ribs in a single layer on a sheet pan, pat ribs dry, and season with salt and pepper. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. working in batches, brown the ribs, 2 to 3 minutes per side, transferring the ribs to a slow cooker, casserole or braising pan as done. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F if not using a slow cooker.
- Add the marinade stock mixture, reserved aromatics and sachet to the ribs. cover the slow cooker or casserole and cook until meat is very tender, about 9 hours on low for the slow cooker and 12 hours for the oven.
- Remove the ribs from slow cooker or casserole and strain the braising liquid, discarding sachet and solids. Degrease braising liquid. Remove bones from ribs and return meat to liquid to keep warm. Correct seasoning if necessary. (If not serving immediately, allow the ribs, with the bones still attached, to cool in the braising liquid. when ready to serve, gently warm the ribs in the strained braising liquid.)
Delicious with cauliflower purée and haricots verts.
hellskitchen.bz >> RECIPES >> MEAT >> Braised Short Ribs with Pomegranate Molasses