|Preparation Time:||15 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||1 hour 45 minutes|
|Time Until Ready:||2 hours|
5 1/2-pound (2.5 kg) sirloin of beef, trimmed of fat
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 red onions, halved
2 bulbs garlic, plus 4 cloves garlic, peeled
7 pounds (3 kg) roasting potatoes, peeled
3 rosemary sprigs
2 thumb-sized pieces ginger, peeled and diced (optional)
1/2 bottle robust red wine
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C), and heat a large thick-bottomed roasting tray on the stovetop.
- Rub the beef generously with salt, then add a little olive oil to the tray and lightly brown the meat for a couple of minutes on all sides.
- Lay the onions and bulbs of garlic in the tray with the beef on top, then cook in the pre-heated oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- While the beef is roasting, parboil the potatoes in salted boiling water for about 10 minutes and drain in a colander.
- After 30 minutes, take the tray out and place potatoes and rosemary around the meat.
- With a garlic press or grater, squeeze or grate the cloves of garlic and ginger over everything in the tray.
- Shake the tray and return it to the oven for the last hour.
- Remove the potatoes to a dish to keep warm, place the beef on a plate, covered with foil, to rest.
- Remove most of the fat from the roasting tray, leaving mostly caramelized onions and sticky beef goodness.
- Add 1 teaspoon of flour to the tray and mix everything together.
- Heat the tray on the stovetop and when hot, add the red wine.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring, until gravy coats the back of a spoon.
- Add any juice from the beef and thin with water or stock if you like.
- Pour through a coarse sieve and push it through with a spoon.
- Serve in a warmed gravy jug.
Delicious with lightly cooked string beans
hellskitchen.bz >> RECIPES >> MEAT >> Roast Beef