Aromatic Basmati Rice
In Hindi, basmati means "queen of fragrance or the perfumed one," and the nutty, sweet smell of basmati rice is unmistakable. Basmati rice should be served fluffy, not sticky. The milling process creates residue starches, that makes rinsing the rice very important to prevent stickiness.
|Preparation Time:||5 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||22 minutes|
|Time Until Ready:||35 minutes|
1 cup basmati rice
1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
1 tablespoon safflower oil
2" piece of cinnamon
2 whole cloves
2 green cardamom pods, slightly crushed
1 teaspoon salt
- Wash the rice with cold water until it runs clear then drain thoroughly.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over high heat until almost smoking. Add whole spices and cook, stirring until the spices pop. Add onions and cook, stirring until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add 1-1/2 cups water and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer until all water has been absorbed, about 17 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, at least 10 minutes.
- Gently fluff with a fork, removing the whole spices, and serve.
Delicious with north Indian dishes such as a Biryani.
hellskitchen.bz >> RECIPES >> RICE & OTHER GRAINS >> Aromatic Basmati Rice