North African Split Pea Soup
A hearty aromatic soup.
|Preparation Time:||15 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||1 hour +|
|Time Until Ready:||1 hour 30 minutes|
4 cups dry green split peas, rinsed
2 bay leaves
2 large yellow onions
3 green peppers
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of cayenne
8 cloves garlic, crushed
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper
Parsley for garnish
- Soak the split peas in 8 cups of water overnight (or bring to boil for a minute then remove from heat and soak for one hour).
- Cook split peas over medium heat with bay leaves until tender (45 minutes to 1 hour).
- In large skillet, sauté chopped onions and green peppers over medium-high heat, until soft but not browned. Add spices and crushed garlic and stir for five minutes more.
- Add to soup pot with lemon juice. Cook until texture is pleasing.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend some or all of the soup, leaving just as much as you like unblended for texture.
- Serve with chopped parsley.
Delicious with dense whole grain bread.
hellskitchen.bz >> RECIPES >> SOUPS >> North African Split Pea Soup