Morel Mushrooms on Toast
|Preparation Time:||25 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||10 minutes|
|Time Until Ready:||25 minutes|
1 pound fresh morels
2 ounces unsalted butter
1 tablespoon chopped chives
6 slices bread - white, brioche, or wholegrain, as you prefer
- Cut the stems of the morels near the base and pick out any that have collapsed and are wet. Drop them in repeated changes of cold water without allowing them to soak up too much in the process. Drain them well.
- Peel and chop the shallots very finely. Melt half the butter in a heavy saucepan and sweat the shallots very gently for two or three minutes before adding the morels. Let the morels sweat gently in the butter, turning them occasionally.
- Once the morels have rendered their water and have collapsed, turn up the heat and reduce the liquid as quickly as possible.
- Once that liquid has become quite thick and syrupy, add the remaining butter in small lumps, shaking the pan as you do so to emulsify the juices.
- When all the butter has been used, add a squeeze of lemon juice and adjust the seasoning before mixing in the finely chopped chives.
- Spoon the morels on to dry toast and serve immediately.
Delicious for a weekend brunch in the spring.
hellskitchen.bz >> RECIPES >> VEGETABLES >> Morel Mushrooms on Toast