Sweet and Sour Leeks
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||25 minutes|
|Time Until Ready:||40 minutes|
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon currants
3 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped coarsely
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Coarse salt to taste
- Trim the leeks of the green tops, leaving only 1 or 2 inches of pale green, and clean thoroughly by slitting leeks in half lengthwise and rinsing under cold water.
- Sauté the pine nuts in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pan with high sides over low heat. When they begin to color, add the currants and tomatoes. Sauté the mixture over moderate heat for a few minutes or until the tomatoes begin to break down and become saucy.
- Add the trimmed and cleaned leeks to the pan. Add the remining olive oil and enough water to come halfway up the sides of the leeks. Bring the liquid to a simmer, partially cover the pan, and braise the leeks for about 15 minutes or until they are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Remove the leeks gently from the pan, and place them on a serving platter or in a glass or enamel dish.
- Turn the heat to high and begin to reduce the remaining pan juices. Add the vinegar and sugar to the pan, tasting for sweet and sour, adjusting to your taste by adding more sugar or vinegar if you wish.
- Add salt. Continue to reduce the pan juices until the sauce has body. Pour the hot sauce over the leeks. Let cool and serve at room temperature.
hellskitchen.bz >> RECIPES >> VEGETABLES >> Sweet and Sour Leeks